- this video uses some fitting simple analogies
- we are lost and driving the car in the wrong direction
- know the right direction to go
- then you have to stop and turn around
- then you have to push the gas pedal and move in the right direction
- pdf for this video
The Eightfold Path is a core Buddhist teaching that explains how to end suffering. It is a path of moral conduct, mental discipline, and wisdom. The eight elements of the path are:
- Right understanding: Seeing the world as it really is, without our own biases and judgments.
- Right thought: Having thoughts that are kind, compassionate, and wise. https://www.ctworld.org.tw/Buddhist%20e-Books/CTM/CTM207GM/index.html
- Right speech: Speaking in a way that is honest, helpful, and truthful.
- Right action: Acting in a way that is ethical, moral, and harmless.
- Right livelihood: Working in a way that is honest and does not harm others.
- Right effort: Making an effort to develop positive qualities and eliminate negative qualities.
- Right mindfulness: Being aware of our thoughts, feelings, and bodily sensations in the present moment.
- Right concentration: Focusing our minds on a single object or task.
The Eightfold Path is not a linear process. Instead, it is a holistic approach to living a good and meaningful life. By practicing all eight elements of the path, we can develop the wisdom and compassion necessary to end suffering.
graph TD subgraph level 1 sila Stream Entrant Sotāpanna Harmonious -- Sammā Ājīva --> Lifestyle Harmonious -- Sammā Kammanta --> Action Harmonious -- Sammā Vācā --> Speech Harmonious -- Sammā Sankappa --> Orientation Harmonious -- Sammā Diṭṭhi --> Perspective end
graph TD subgraph level 2 Once Returner Sakadāgāmi Harmonious_Exercise -- Sammā --> Vāyāma Harmonious_Exercise -- Maintenance --> Anurakkhaṇa Harmonious_Exercise -- Cultivation --> Bhāvanā Harmonious_Exercise -- Elimination --> Pahāna Harmonious_Exercise -- Prevention --> Saṃvar end
graph TD subgraph Level 3 Paññā Non Returner Anāgāmi Harmonious_Equilibrium --> Sammā_Samādhi Harmonious_Equilibrium -- Upekkhā --> Apperception Harmonious_Equilibrium -- Samādhi Affective --> tranquility Harmonious_Equilibrium -- Passaddhi Physical --> Relaxation Harmonious_Equilibrium -- Pīti Cognitive --> consonance Harmonious_Equilibrium -- Viriya Cognitive --> strength Harmonious_Equilibrium -- Dhammavicaya Examination of --> cognition Harmonious_Equilibrium -- Sati --> Introspection end
graph TD subgraph Level 3b Paññā Non Returner Anāgāmi Harmonious_Attention --> Sammā_Sati Harmonious_Attention -- Awareness of Dhammānupassanā --> Conception Harmonious_Attention -- Awareness of Cittānupassanā --> Emotion Harmonious_Attention -- Awareness of Vedanānupassanā --> Feeling Harmonious_Attention -- Awareness of Kāyānupassanā --> Body end
graph TD subgraph level 4 Breaker of Bonds Arahat NIBBĀNA -- Awakening Imperturbable --> Serenity VIMUTTI -- Emancipation Paradigm Shift --> Superperception PAÑÑĀ -- Complete Knowledge --> Full_Comprehension end